${ruby:Depends}

Dear Team members,

I had a couple of questions about packaging workflow, which are maybe
naive. Hopefully, answers will be useful for others too!
I am sending them as separate emails.

1. exact role of ${ruby:Depends}

I kind of understand from the dh_ruby manpage that ${ruby:Depends} is
supposed to fill in the Depends: field for the binary package, using
information from the gemspec. It is nice.

I was wondering if we, as a team, would consider as a guideline to try
to replace the hardcoded dependency by ${ruby:Depends} (as dh_make_ruby
-w does) when updating a package.

It is probably a case where the implementation of debian/control
template is to be considered as the reference, but I was wondering if
that is a case of "what should be done" vs "what can be done
programmatically in a template".

More generally, would it be useful to have a document which would
summarize the best practices? I know that we have had a draft for a
Debian Ruby policy which was never finished. Maybe something less
formal, as a wiki page would do.

Thanks in advance for your insight.