Re: ruby-nio4r 2.3.x from experimental to unstable (and others)?

Dear Praveen,

On Thu, Jan 03, 2019 at 01:20:18PM +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:

> I think was uploaded to experimental because we could not really
> determine if it will break ruby-celluloid-io or not. But we were not
> able to get ruby-celluloid-io tests to work. We are considering to use
> systemd directly to replace ruby-eye, if that happens, ruby-cellulid-io
> won't be required for diaspora.

> > More generally, is there a place where are listed packages with version
> > in experimental with the reason why they are not in unstable? Following
> > reverse (build)dependencies, one often goes back to gitlab or diaspora,
> > as the big softwares consuming Ruby libraries, but it is not easy to see
> > where in the path problems are. And given the number of packages under
> > the team's umbrella, it does not scale.

> Generally we stage major updates in experimental till diaspora or gitlab
> is ready for unstable. We keep track of all the dependencies and
> problems for each update in a gitlab issue. So that would be
> https://git.fosscommunity.in/debian-ruby/TaskTracker/issues/134 for
> diaspora.

> > What about using explicitly the Breaks statement of the control file for
> > the version uploaded to experimental? Also, what about using
> > another branch than master (like 'experimental') to push these changes,
> > as it makes things a bit more difficult that it should to update
> > packages in unstable.

> I started using that recently from last ruby-github-linguist update

> Breaks: gitaly (<< 0.129.0+debian~), gitlab (<< 11.5.3+dfsg~)

> From now I will use it for all experimental uploads.

Thanks very much for the explanations. The version of nio4r in unstable
dates from mid 2016 and could be updated. ruby-celluloid-io
(and the rest of celluloid) has been unmaintained since 2016, so using
something else if possible seems to be indeed a good idea.
I will try to see in the coming days if ruby-celluloid-io is not worse
with the experimental nio4r than with the current one in unstable, and
then reupload to unstable to fix the RC bug for the next stable.