Re: ruby2.5 transition: help needed

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 03:16:54AM +0100, Georg Faerber wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to help with this, but don't want to step on peoples feet:
>
> On 18-02-01 09:08:09, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
> > As you might have noticed, during the last week the ruby2.5 transition
> > was put in motion. ruby2.5 has been in testing for a while, and we did
> > a couple of test rebuilds with it to assess the size of the problem.
> > It looks good enough, so I decided to go ahead with the transition.
> >
> > I just did an upload of ruby-defaults enabling builds for ruby2.5. This
> > should be available in the repository in a few hours from now. Now is
> > the time I need the most help: we need to fix every package that has a
> > problem with ruby2.5.
> >
> > The transition is being tracked together with the release team at:
> > https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/ruby2.5.html
> >
> > The packages that are listed there that can just be rebuilt against
> > ruby2.5 will be binNMUed soon. The ones that fail are currently listed
> > here:
> >
> > https://people.debian.org/~terceiro/ruby2.5/builds/#FAIL
> >
> > These failures should have priority in the fixing because they may
> > provide native extensions that are used by other pure-Ruby packages.
> >
> > The full list of bugs that need to be fixed (including the above + all
> > pure-Ruby packages that presented some problem during the rebuild) is
> > at:
> > https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=ruby2.5;users=debian-ruby@lists.debian.org
> >
> > Last but not least, we have a wiki page with a plan/TODO list for the
> > transition. It could be an interesting read:
> > https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby/ruby2.5
>
> I guess there is no priority list for these packages? Therefore, should
> I just start from the top?

At this point, the priority would be the packages that are still red in
https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/ruby2.5.html

click que "RC bugs" link for each dependency level. Note that some of
the packages that are red in the transition page do not have RC bugs
because they build extensions only for the default ruby version, so they
will only be "fixed" when ruby2.5 becomes the default.