Re: ruby-gettext-setup: FTBFS [Re: RFS: ruby-tzinfo, ruby-gettext, ruby-kgio, ruby-solve]

On 4/4/18, Georg Faerber <georg@riseup.net> wrote:

>> I've checked ruby-gettext-setup and can say that it doesn't actually
>> use anything from gettext gem, only from fast-gettext. So its test
>> failures caused by something else, not the new gettext version.
> I would be interested in how you came to this conclusion:

I did `fgrep -R require | fgrep gettext` and saw nothing (actually
this gem uses rxgettext from ruby-gettext).

> ruby-gettext-setup FTBFS now, with errors like
>
> /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/gettext/tools/parser/ruby.rb:50:in `gsub': invalid
> byte sequence in US-ASCII (ArgumentError)
>
> See #894829 for details.

/usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/gettext/tools/parser/ruby.rb is UTF-8 file,
it contains japanese letters (こんにちは世界), of course these letters can't
be processed in C locale.

So you either patch it to remove UTF-8 characters or run tests in C.UTF-8.

I don't think that the last ruby-gettext update introduced a
regression as in the previous version it had a terrible insecure
parser for ruby strings:
begin; s = eval(s); rescue Exception; end

Now it has a proper one.