gitlab and debconf: help needed

Hi Can anyone help me figure out why debconf is failing for gitlab? I
have checked in my code in debconf branch (with upstream-8.4) on alioth.

It just gives this error message, I tried DEBCONF_DEBUG=developer
option, but not much details are shown

dpkg: error processing package gitlab (--install):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit
status 128
Processing triggers for systemd (228-4) ...
 gitlab

Note: I have uploaded gitlab 8.4.0 to
https://people.debian.org/~praveen/gitlab/ (unreleased-8.4 suite) and it
now works after setting hostname in 2 files (gitlab.yml, and
gitlab-shell/config.yml)

creating repos, http push and pull (ssh login is not yet working, key
upload needs fixing)

gitlab 8.4.0 introduced environmental variables to set hostname and if I
can get debconf to work, I can get it all the way to gitlab accessible
via nginx without any manual steps.