Re: Binary executable name conflicts with existing package

Hey,

* Balasankar C <balasankarc@autistici.org> [150610 04:27]:
> Hi,
> One of the gems I packaged recently (rexical) ships a binary executable named 'rex'. But there is already a package by perl team named 'rex' which also ships a binary of the same name.
> This resulted in the bug #788294.
>
> What is the correct procedure to follow? Renaming the binary (but the users may refer to upstream readme and want rex itself) or declaring a conflict relationship between the packages (but the file they ship are "same" not in the sense of content but only in the sense of name) ?

Apart from what is said in Debian policy about this, consider
renaming the executable proactively.

If the binary is not an enduser thingy, consider renaming it to
ruby-rex. If it's an enduser thing, you'll need to come up with a
better name (rex-security?).
Also then patch the README and stuff.

Best,
--