Re: Please review my package 'homesick'

Hi Alexander,

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 03:26:40AM +0300, Alexander Gerasiov wrote:
> 2nd.
> I've packaged homesick (dotfiles manager) under pkg-ruby-extras maintenance.

> I'm not a ruby developer, so I would like to get some review.

> http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-ruby-extras/homesick.git
> ssh://git.debian.org/git/pkg-ruby-extras/homesick.git

Here are some comments, after a quick look at your package:

The tests seem to require a Ruby library called test_construct, which is
not available as a Ruby package. You should package it as well, as
ruby-test-construct (hopefully, all the dependencies for this one are
already in the archive). Same with capture-output.
These should then be added as Build-dependencies, as well as ruby-thor,
as the library will be called during the tests.
The package probably needs to depends on git as well.

The bin/homesick script modifies the $LOAD_PATH where the interpreter
looks for libraries. Since this modification is not compatible with the
paths where the files will be installed, I would patch out lines 3-5 of
this script (the ruby interpreter will know how to find the 'homesick'
library).

The Testsuite: field of the debian/control file should be set to
autopkgtest-pkg-ruby, since you didn't write any files under
debian/tests, so that autopkgtest can rely on the default receipt for
Ruby packages.

You can install the upstream ChangeLog.markdown by creating a
override_dh_installchangelogs target in debian/rules.

I would also rename MIT to Expat in debian/copyright, and and a DEP-3
header to the patch.