Re: Notes from the Ruby/JS ad-hoc meeting at DebConf

On Tuesday 01 September 2015 08:05 PM, Cédric Boutillier wrote:
> Hi!
>
> During DebConf15 in Heidelberg, we manage to organize an ad-hoc session
> to discuss how to deal with the mix between JavaScript libraries and
> Ruby. In addition to members of the Ruby team, attended also Jonas
> Smeregaard and David Prévot, members of the Javascript team.
>
> Here is my attempt to summarize some of the discussions we had during
> this meeting:
>
> Because of the Ruby On Rails applications we want to include in the
> archive, we need to package rails assets packages, which often:
> - are very small
> - contain mainly JavaScript code
>
> We came to the conclusion that the best way to maintain these packages
> is to package separately the javascript library and the Ruby glue.
> - the javascript package should follow the best practices from the
>   JavaScript team
>   https://wiki.debian.org/Javascript/Policy
>   It should be possible for other interpreted languages at the interface
>   of JavaScript to use the JS library with their own glue.
> - we should avoid having JS packages in the ruby section of the archive.

Adding "Section: web" to libjs-* binary packages built from
rails-assets-* source packages would be enough I hope.

If ruby/rails packages are the only user of the package, I think
maintaining it inside the ruby team repo makes sense, if other packages
starts depending on it, then only we need to move the libjs-* packages
to pkg-javascript repo, I think.

At the moment, almost all of the libjs-* packages I created are used by
either diaspora or gitlab.