Notes from the Ruby/JS ad-hoc meeting at DebConf

Hi!

During DebConf15 in Heidelberg, we manage to organize an ad-hoc session
to discuss how to deal with the mix between JavaScript libraries and
Ruby. In addition to members of the Ruby team, attended also Jonas
Smeregaard and David Prévot, members of the Javascript team.

Here is my attempt to summarize some of the discussions we had during
this meeting:

Because of the Ruby On Rails applications we want to include in the
archive, we need to package rails assets packages, which often:
- are very small
- contain mainly JavaScript code

We came to the conclusion that the best way to maintain these packages
is to package separately the javascript library and the Ruby glue.
- the javascript package should follow the best practices from the
  JavaScript team
  https://wiki.debian.org/Javascript/Policy
  It should be possible for other interpreted languages at the interface
  of JavaScript to use the JS library with their own glue.
- we should avoid having JS packages in the ruby section of the archive.
- the Ruby package will be very small, but this is supposed not to be an
  issue to FTP masters, as announced at DebConf. If there are no other
  way around it, we should be able to send very small packages. Maybe
  just add a short note somewhere, like in Debian/README.source that the
  package is small, but it is the only to sanely be able to track
  upstream and avoid embedded copies.
- There is a project from the JavaScript team to create a dpkg hook to
  recombine/compress JavaScript libraries from different packages
  exactly as upstream application do, to be served by a web server and
  used by a web application. There is no code for this at the moment,
  but if you need this functionality, please ping Jonas Smeregaard for this.

Other attendees of this event are invited to add points I may have
forgotten or comment on what I wrote if my interpretation is not totally
correct.