Re: RFC: ruby-coveralls (NEW)

Dear Miguel,

On Tue, Mar 04, 2014 at 09:02:43PM -0300, Miguel Landaeta wrote:
> Hi folks,

> Before uploading this NEW package I would appreciate if somebody more
> experienced with Ruby packaging than myself can take a brief look[1] at
> ruby-coveralls package.

> I think it's mostly OK, lintian clean, etc.

> However, I'm not quite sure If I got right the testing part. In
> particular this package's testing machinery depends on vcr and webmock
> so I have to disable that.

Before looking at the package, I would like to know if you are
really interested in having ruby-coveralls packaged in Debian, or
if you found it has a (build-)dependency for another project.

I am asking because I encounter several gems requiring coveralls in
tests. My opinion on tests has been that it is a great benefit to be
able to run test suites at build time, but getting test coverage
statistics is not of much interest for us (that is more a tool for
upstream developpers). That is why I have been patching out uses of
simplecov/coveralls in test suites.

Moreover, according to coveralls for docs:
https://coveralls.io/
the prerequisites for coveralls on Ruby gems are:
- the code should be hosted on Github;
- the code should build on Travis or a similar platform;
[I've never used coveralls myself though]

Hence I do not see at the moment any use case for a ruby-coveralls
package. But maybe I missed something. If it is the case, then please
correct me.