Re: an experiment: ruby-standalone

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 10:25:47AM +0200, Matijs van Zuijlen wrote:
> On 22/09/14 19:01, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 04:01:21PM +0200, Matijs van Zuijlen wrote:
> >> Not long ago this was easy to do by using rbenv, since it allowed installing
> >> gems for the system Ruby in a directory in ~/.rbenv. Unfortunately, this feature
> >> was broken along with the ability to have more than one system Ruby.
> >
> > You can make rubygems install to any place you want by setting $GEM_HOME,
> > or to your $HOME/.gem by using --user-install.
>
> Yes, but it is much nicer if this follows the active rbenv version.

Sure. It would be possible to port the part of rbenv-alternatives that
made that work (which was setting GEM_HOME plus something else) in a new
plugin, but I won't be able to do it myself.

> >> Where would gems for ruby-standalone be installed?
> >
> > By default, to the same place where regular ruby would.
>
> That seems to be contrary to the goal of avoiding conflicts with Debian Ruby
> packages. How is this resolved?

*vendor_ruby* directories are excluded from the $LOAD_PATH, so

- rubygems-integration is not used so Rubygems will not see the gemspec
  files provided by Debian packages
- `require` will not find any files installed by ruby-* packages

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>