Re: Request for sponsorship: ruby-elasticsearch, ruby-elasticsearch-api, ruby-elasticsearch-transport

[I've been having mail problems and didn't see this reply hit to the list so here's a repost]

Cédric Boutillier <boutil@debian.org> wrote:

> I had a look at ruby-elasticsearch-api for the moment. I see that you
> didn't try to run the tests during the package build.
> test/test_helper.rb requires elasticsearch/extensions/test/*
> (elasticsearch-extensions gem). Maybe you would need to package this one
> so that you can enable the test suite.

I spent a fair while trying to get the test suite going, and it appears
that it’s necessary to have a elasticsearch server running on port 9200
for the tests to succeed.  That doesn’t sound like something that should be
happening as part of a package build.

I also needed to package up about a dozen extra Ruby gems just to get the
test suites for ruby-elasticsearch* running without import errors.  Not
sure it’s worth the extra effort, but if that’s policy then I can try
and get things working and submit them for upload.

> ruby-elasticsearch-api.docs contains boilerplate code. Remove the first
> one and uncomment the second.

Fixed.

> In debian/control, please uncomment the Vcs-* fields. There is a double
> space after a period, in the long description.

Fixed.

> From the Homepage, I understand that all the ruby-elasticsearch* come
> from the same Git repo on github. Maybe it would make more sense to use
> the tarball from Github to make a unique source package providing all
> the ruby-elasticsearch-* binary packages, unsing the Multi-binary layout
> explained in dh_ruby(1) (like what is done for the rails package).
> This would avoid problems with inter(build)dependencies between the
> various modules. What do you think?

Also fixed.

I’ve rolled out all these suggestions to the other Ruby packages I have
been working on as well, so hopefully that should speed things up when they
are ready to be sponsored.

Thanks Cedric!

Tim.