Re: Proposed new initiative: include HTML documentation

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 11:03:03AM +0200, Cédric Boutillier wrote:
> Your approach proposes to run rdoc as a part of dh_ruby. I have a few
> questions about that:
> - what do we do for packages needing specific options parameters?
> - for packages using another documentation tool, like yardoc instead?
> As this command is run as part of the install process, there is no
> simple way to override it.

> We would need to touch the debhelp7 part of gem2deb code to create a
> installdocs, and run the rdoc command as part of dh_ruby --installdocs.
> In the mean time, would it make sense in a first step to
> provide the generic rdoc command as a override_dh_installdocs target in
> debian/rules?

My apologies. Now I got a bit more caffeine, I see that the
documentation creation is part of dh_ruby --build (which was doing
nothing) instead of dh_ruby --install, as I wrote.

I understand also that modifying the dh_installdocs to build the
documentation may be a bad idea (what to do if we don't want to build
it? overriding this seems awkward).

So my questions, would be:
- do we want a rdoc command to be a generic command of the build system?
- if yes, how do we modify it/disable it when needed?
- is it better to provide a generic override rule for a dh_* target in
  debian/rules as part of dh-make-ruby?
- if yes, which target do we override? Poking at the repos, sometimes
  people use dh_auto_build, sometimes dh_installdocs.