Re: RFS: ruby-fastimage

Dear Sasaki-san,

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 04:03:55PM +0900, Youhei SASAKI wrote:
> Dear folks,

> The following package is ready to be uploaded.
> Could you please sponsor them?

>  * ruby-fastimage: Finds the size or type of image as little as needed
>    * ITP: #759421
>      FastImage does this minimal fetch for image types GIF, JPEG, PNG,
>      TIFF, BMP and PSD.  And it doesn't rely on installing external
>      libraries such as RMagick (which relies on ImageMagick or
>      GraphicsMagick) or ImageScience (which relies on FreeImage). You
>      only need supply the uri, and FastImage will do the rest.
>    * This package needs tDiary's new upstream release

> And also, It's first time for me to use autopkgtest by gem2deb-testrunner.
> Please check and provide comments.

About debian/tests/, the Test-Command line with just:
gem2deb-test-runner --autopkgtest 2>&1
should be enough (in particular, no need to call/depend on quilt).

Indeed, quoting /usr/share/doc/autopkgtest/README.package-tests.html:

	The cwd of each test is guaranteed to be the root of the source
	package, which will have been unpacked but not built.

My understanding is that the patches will thus be applied as the source
package is unpacked. Please correct me if I misunderstood this part.

I also checked briefly the rest of the package, which looks great.
I have a couple of comments:
- instead of using a patch to import the image from the upstream
  Git repository, maybe you can use a tarball created from tagged
  commits on Github:
  https://github.com/sdsykes/fastimage/releases
  That would avoid the trouble of carrying around binary diffs.

- according to the paragraph on package descriptions in the Developers
  reference, packaging best practices:
  https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-pkg-synopsis
  it is recommended to put in the synopsis a noun phrase without capital
  letter at the beginning. I would put something like:
  "tool to find the size or type of image using as little as needed"
  (if it is grammatically correct).