Some proposals for Ruby policy

Hi all,

As a newcomer to the Ruby team over the past few weeks, I've noticed some aspects of Ruby packaging that could be easily clarified with documentation or, better yet, in the Ruby policy.

I'd like to lay out some proposals, which can be discussed further on IRC on Friday.

VCS vs Gem
AFAICT, the upstream gem is used **unless** the git tarball contains extra files that we would like to include in Debian (e.g., documentation, tests). This seems to be the standard practice, but it would be great to formalize it in the policy.

Homepage
========
Every gem has a page on Rubygems. Most also have at least 1 other relevant upstream page, like a GitHub repo or an actual website (you know what I mean). Which of these should be used for the homepage field? My personal preference is to use the rubygems page as a last resort, and to favour the upstream website (as opposed to GitHub) if it exists. Again, this is something that is pretty much standard practice, but could easily be implemented in the policy, and would be helpful for newcomers.

I have another proposal about documentation, which will be outlined in a separate e-mail.

Thanks,
Caitlin