Re: Hello friendly Ruby people

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 4:05 AM, Potter, Tim (Cloud Services)
<timothy.potter@hp.com> wrote:
> On 3/08/14 6:24 AM, "Per Andersson" <avtobiff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi Tim!
>>
>>On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 5:53 AM, Potter, Tim (Cloud Services)
>><timothy.potter@hp.com> wrote:
>>> Hi everyone.  I'm interested in helping out with Ruby packaging for
>>>Debian.
>>
>>Great, welcome!
>
> Hi Per.  Thanks for the reply.  I was granted access to the
> pig-ruby-extras repo on Alioth recently but have been mainly working in my
> public_git repo.
>
>>>My initial list of gems required for the logstash plugins is pretty long
>>> about thirty gems.  Too boring to list here?
>>
>>It is good to have a tentative list of prospective packages, especially
>>to show
>>what others can do if they want to help out.
>
> OK - here's what I've packaged up so far in ~tpot-guest/public_git.  This
> is enough to run the logstash command line tool with a couple of options
> that it supports without throwing import errors:
>
> ruby-avl-tree
> ruby-cabin
> ruby-clamp
> ruby-ftw
> ruby-metriks
> ruby-stud
> ruby-awesome-print

If this is well packaged (build nicely, run tests, lintian clean etc)
then I think
you should put this in the team repository.

> My list of unpackaged gems from logstash.gemspec is currently:
>
> ruby-ffi-rzmq
> ruby-filewatch
> ruby-gelfd
> ruby-gelf
> ruby-gmetric
> ruby-jls-grok
> ruby-statsd
> ruby-xml-simple
> ruby-xmpp4r
> ruby-jls-lumberjack
> ruby-geoip
> ruby-beefcake
> ruby-mumurhash3
> ruby-rufus-scheduler
> ruby-user-agent-parser
> ruby-rbnacl
> ruby-bindata
> ruby-edn
> ruby-elasticsearch
> ruby-jruby-httpclient
> ruby-bouncy-castle-java
> ruby-jruby-openssl
> ruby-msgpack-jruby
> ruby-jrjackson
> ruby-arch-hare
> ruby-cinch

I haven't looked at the gemspec file, but are all those necessary to run
the package, or, to run the tests?

A lot of the time there are gems listed that are more like developer
features or nice-to-haves.

> Quite a long list, but deb2gem makes things easy.

gem2deb. ;-)

> The next step is to package up some of the PHP files and a few more Ruby
> and Java dependencies (primarily elasticsearch server) before plugins will
> start working.  Up until then it's all probably just a giant set of policy
> violations.  (-:  I'm probably a week or two away from asking for a RFS or
> two as I'd like to find and fix as many obvious problems before getting
> anyone else involved.

Sounds good!

--
Per