Re: Hello friendly Ruby people

On 3/08/14 6:24 AM, "Per Andersson" <avtobiff@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Tim!
>
>On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 5:53 AM, Potter, Tim (Cloud Services)
><timothy.potter@hp.com> wrote:
>> Hi everyone.  I'm interested in helping out with Ruby packaging for
>>Debian.
>
>Great, welcome!

Hi Per.  Thanks for the reply.  I was granted access to the
pig-ruby-extras repo on Alioth recently but have been mainly working in my
public_git repo.

>>My initial list of gems required for the logstash plugins is pretty long
>> about thirty gems.  Too boring to list here?
>
>It is good to have a tentative list of prospective packages, especially
>to show
>what others can do if they want to help out.

OK - here's what I've packaged up so far in ~tpot-guest/public_git.  This
is enough to run the logstash command line tool with a couple of options
that it supports without throwing import errors:

ruby-avl-tree
ruby-cabin
ruby-clamp
ruby-ftw
ruby-metriks
ruby-stud
ruby-awesome-print

My list of unpackaged gems from logstash.gemspec is currently:

ruby-ffi-rzmq
ruby-filewatch
ruby-gelfd
ruby-gelf
ruby-gmetric
ruby-jls-grok
ruby-statsd
ruby-xml-simple
ruby-xmpp4r
ruby-jls-lumberjack
ruby-geoip
ruby-beefcake
ruby-mumurhash3
ruby-rufus-scheduler
ruby-user-agent-parser
ruby-rbnacl
ruby-bindata
ruby-edn
ruby-elasticsearch
ruby-jruby-httpclient
ruby-bouncy-castle-java
ruby-jruby-openssl
ruby-msgpack-jruby
ruby-jrjackson
ruby-arch-hare
ruby-cinch

Quite a long list, but deb2gem makes things easy.

The next step is to package up some of the PHP files and a few more Ruby
and Java dependencies (primarily elasticsearch server) before plugins will
start working.  Up until then it's all probably just a giant set of policy
violations.  (-:  I'm probably a week or two away from asking for a RFS or
two as I'd like to find and fix as many obvious problems before getting
anyone else involved.

I'm pretty happy with using the mr tool mentioned in the wiki.  It's a
real time saver.

Tim Potter
Cloud Systems Engineer
HP Cloud Services

timothy.potter@hp.com
M +61 419 749 832
Hewlett-Packard Australia Pty Ltd

This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure
by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient
(or authorised to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by
reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.