Re: RFC for first package: ruby-filepath

Hi Gioele,

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 03:41:12PM +0200, Gioele Barabucci wrote:
> Il 22/09/2013 08:34, Cédric Boutillier ha scritto:

> >- debian/control:
> >   - I would shorten the short description and drop the part after ";".
> >     The short description should start with a small 's'.

> Fixed. However I see no mention of starting the synopsis with
> lowercase letters in section 3.4 of the policy [1]. Is it a Ruby
> convention?

> [1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-binary.html#s-descriptions

It is not a Ruby convention. See the paragraph on descriptions in the
chapter of packaging best practices from the Debian developer reference

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-binary.html#s-descriptions

> >- debian/copyright:
> >   I think that even if you choose CC0, you should indicate your name in
> >   the Copyright: field as the rights holder/"Affirmer" of the license.

> The copyright-format document is a bit sibylline wrt to public domain.

> > If a work has no copyright holder (i.e., it is in the public domain),
> > that information should be recorded here.

> I read that statement as "If a work is in PD, use the `Copyright`
> field to state this fact rather than stating the owner of the
> copyright".

My understanding is that CC0 is not completely equivalent to code
already public domain. CC0 is the closest you can have to get your
work in the public domain, but since in some juridictions, you cannot be
sure that your copyright is completely waived, you still in this case
stay the copyright holder.

By a short look at the search result for "License: CC0" on
codesearch.debian.net, it seems that most of the results indicate
copyright holders.

If noone else has an opinion on that, I would recommend to ask advice on
debian-legal@lists.debian.org.