location of pure Ruby files not supported by all versions

Hi list,

We had in the past a fair number of bugs regarding packages with some
pure Ruby files and C extensions built only for ruby1.8. The Ruby files
loaded were found by ruby1.9.1 but the corresponding extensions failed
to load.

See bugs #673166 and #704966 against gem2deb.

Even if the difference between ruby2.0 and ruby1.9.1 is smaller than
between ruby1.8 and ruby1.9.1, we could be in a similar situation
when switching to 2.0 as default.

To prevent that, I was wondering if it was a good idea to
put Ruby files for packages declared to work only with a subset of
supported versions in vendorlibdir
(/usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/#{rubyversion}) instead of
/usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby where all interpreters could find them.

There is the problem of duplication of code when/if gem2deb supports
more than two interpreters and the library is supported by at least two
of them (but not all), but this could be solved with symlinks I guess.

What do you think?