Re: mkmf and sitelibdir

Hello Felipe,

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 12:10:02PM -0500, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Following the guidelines to package a ruby C extension[1], one comes
> up with this simple extconf.rb:
>
>   require 'mkmf'
>   create_makefile("Test")
>
> But then, when installing it goes to:
>
>   /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.9.1/x86_64-linux
>
> This is clearly wrong, since /usr/local is not allowed for packages.
> This is because ruby was configured with
> --with-sitedir=/usr/local/lib/site_ruby, which is wrong.

If you are building/installing the package by hand (ruby mkmf.rb && make
&& make install), that's actually the correct behavior.

If you are creating a Debian package with gem2deb/dh_ruby, and you still
got the files installed in /usr/local, I would like to look at your
package because it might be a bug in gem2deb.

> So what is a package supposed to do? There's no information at all for
> packages using mkmf. Shouldn't the ruby package be fixed?

building such a package with dh_ruby shoult Just Work™. If it doesn't,
we need to wee the package source to figure out.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>