Re: Status of pry, ruby-method-source, and ruby-listen?

Morning,

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 8:54 AM, Praveen A <pravi.a@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/1/23 Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>:
>> Please take some care to check it the packages you are creating are
>> actually needed as a dependency for a Debian package of the applications
>> you want to get into Debian!
>>
>> The `listen` gem, for example, is a dependency of guard, which is a
>> development tool and *should not* be needed for building a Debian
>> package or for the app's runtime.
>
> I can't say for this particular case, but in general it is suggested
> as a good idea to run tests provided with the gem and these tests
> typically require development tools to be present during build time.

Since Gem doesn't have recommended dependencies (for development or
run-time) it's safe to most of the time assume that Guard is never a
required dependency or a required tool -- I say most of the time
because some developers take it too far and don't build rake tasks --
for those developers that do build rake spec/test tasks Guard is never
a required dependency to the tests since it's an agile tool to rerun
tests on file updates.