Re: ruby-prof

Jonas,

* Jonas Genannt <jonas.genannt@capi2name.de> [131219 21:14]:
> there was no progress on ruby-prof #566279 since 2010, I had a look at ruby-prof: (this
> adds also support for Ruby 1.9/2.0)

As Cedric has noted, ruby-prof failed to build on almost all
architectures:
https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=ruby-prof&suite=sid

I've taken a closer look, and found that ext/ruby_prof/rp_measure_cpu_time.c
has arch-specific assembler code to determine elapsed CPU cycles.
Provided implementations are for i386, x86_64 and powerpc, and there
is no #else #error statement... This explains why ruby-prof built on
my PC, and on powerpc.

What I don't get yet is why it failed to build on i386, hurd-i386,
kfreebsd-amd64 and kfreebsd-i386. (Note that on these platforms only
one test fails.)
Please take a look at those i386/amd64 failures.

https://setisvn.ssl.berkeley.edu/svn/lib/fftw-3.0.1/kernel/cycle.h
has implementations for cycle counting on other platforms; if it's
worth it maybe you could implement get_cpu_time() using these?
Alternatively I think we need to tighten the Architecture list.

    Christian

--
 ,''`.  Christian Hofstaedtler <zeha@debian.org>
: :' :  Debian Developer