Re: Packaging cucumber, osmlib-base, sys-proctable and georuby

Hi!

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 01:49:41PM +0000, Christopher Baines wrote:

> I began today working on packaging OSRM, it requires several ruby gems
> for running tests:
> cucumber, rake, osmlib-base, sys-proctable, rspec-expectations

> As far as I am aware, Debian is missing cucumber, osmlib-base (which
> depends on georuby) and sys-proctable?

> I have begun trying to package the missing gems, and have uploaded the
> current (incomplete) packages to the mentors site.

> The osmlib-base package has some tests that fail, the georuby package
> has a few problems with the copyright and control files. The cucumber

> [...]

> Can anyone offer some advice and help with these packages?

cucumber is already packaged in Debian (the name of the package is
simply cucumber).

$ apt-cache policy cucumber
cucumber:
  Installed: 1.2.1-2
  Candidate: 1.2.1-2
  Version table:
 *** 1.2.1-2 0
        990 http://http.debian.net/debian/ sid/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1.0.2-2 0
        500 http://http.debian.net/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages

I had a quick look at ruby-georuby:
You should not override error about the use of rubygems in
debian/require-rubygems.overrides. Instead, you should patch the source
to remove these lines, and ensure that all dependencies are packaged and
listed as such.

The commented line in debian/control (about nokogiri, etc.) is obtained
from the gem metadata and should guide you to fill the Depends: and
Build-Depends: field. From a quick glance, it will need as Depends:
ruby-nokogiri, ruby-dbf (not packaged), ruby-json.

The text of the license available here:
 https://github.com/nofxx/georuby/blob/master/LICENSE
is not the same as the one you listed in debian/copyright.
You should use this one, and call the license Expat instead of X11.

The tests can be enabled by Build-Depending on rake and ruby-rspec,
removing debian/ruby-tests.rb and putting in debian/ruby-tests.rake

--------8<---------------------
require 'rspec/core/rake_task'

RSpec::Core::RakeTask.new(:spec) do |spec|
  spec.pattern      = './spec/*_spec.rb'
end

task :default => :spec

I don't know exactly what you meant with problems with control and
copyright files, but I hope this already addressed a few issues you had.

I haven't look at the other packages.
If you have more specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. Don't forget
to put the URL to your packages (even better to your Git repo if you use
one!)

Looking at the source of already packaged Ruby gems can be useful (they
can be grabbed with 'apt-get source' or 'debcheckout').