Re: gem update and a warning

John Yani escreveu isso aí:
> > If you actually read the message you got, you will note that you *can*
> > update Rubygems using itself in Debian. You just have to define the
> > REALLY_GEM_UPDATE_SYSTEM environment variable to confirm that you really
> > know what you are doing.
>
> Yes, I can. I just was confused that update_rubygems command doesn't
> issue such a warning.
>
> I was asking a "debian way" to install the latest version of rubygems.
> Maybe something like "checkinstall update_rubygems"?

If you are using the stable release, you could install a backport, but
there is no rubygems backport for squeeze.

If you use testing, you will have a pretty much up to date Rubygems by
default.

> And maybe a debian way to remove rubygems installed with
> REALLY_GEM_UPDATE_SYSTEM  enabled.

The point of REALLY_GEM_UPDATE_SYSTEM is that once you use `gem update
--system`, you are opting out of having Debian manage Rubygems for you.
That's the same as downloading the tarball from rubygems.org and
installing it by hand to /usr/local, or installing rubygems_update, or

> It would be nice if preremove scripts of libruby1.9.1 and ruby1.9.1
> included something like this:
>
> sudo rm -Rf `gem env paths`
> sudo rm -Rf `ruby -e 'puts $:'`
>
> Is it possible?

Installed gems are user data, and so it's not ok for packages to remove
them automatically. They *could* be removed when the rubygems package is
purged, if the user choose to allow that when first installing rubygems
(the default being "no").

Implementing something like this is pretty low priority for me right
now, but you can give it a try if you want.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>