Re: Rails on Debian?

On 26/08/2012 22:40, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
Hi Bob,

Bob Proulx escreveu isso aí:
<snip>
Advice?  What is the Best Practice for Rails on Debian?

All the javascript stuff did not get into wheezy because they depend on
NodeJS, so right now the Rails 3 stack will not complete in pure wheezy:
in special, since ruby-coffee-rails and ruby-uglifier did not migrate,
the Rails 3 asset pipeline is not available.

My main goal when pushing to get rails3 into wheezy was to be able to
upgrade Noosfero (http://noosfero.org/) to rails3, and since it does not
use the asset pipeline that will be no problem for me personally.

*But* I also plan to support the use case for new applications, so my
plan is the following:
<snip plan>

It sounds like the best practice *right now*, then, is:

  # apt-get install ruby rubygems
  # gem install rails

Even when all the requirements for rails 3 get into wheezy-backports, I'd still go for this because we're not *that* far off rails 4, and a gem installed rails will have an easier upgrade path, for my money.