Re: RFS: ruby-bunny gem2deb migration completed

Hi Gunnar,

Thanks for the review. Comments inline.

2012/1/14 Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org>:
> Praveen A dijo [Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 09:56:02PM +0530]:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I migrated libbunny-ruby to gem2deb based packaging and it is ready
>> for upload in the git repo. It builds in a clean chroot, runs all
>> tests successfully and is lintian clean. Please review and upload.
>
> I'm adding two files you skipped to debian/copyright:
> ext/amqp-0.8.json and ext/amqp-0.9.1.json, by LShift Ltd, Cohesive
> Financial Technologies LLC and Rabbit Technologies Ltd., under the
> same Expat license. But besides that, almost all tests failed - I'm
> attaching here the build log.

Because it needs an amqp server to be running. Since it was running in
my system it passed all the tests. Now when I ran it after stopping
amqp-server all tests failed :(

Form your log it is clear that amqp server was not started because it
is not allowed.

[...]

Setting up rabbitmq-server (2.6.1-1) ...
Adding group `rabbitmq' (GID 103) ...
Done.
Adding system user `rabbitmq' (UID 101) ...
Adding new user `rabbitmq' (UID 101) with group `rabbitmq' ...
Not creating home directory `/var/lib/rabbitmq'.
************************************
All rc.d operations denied by policy
************************************
invoke-rc.d: policy-rc.d denied execution of start.

[...]

Should we just skip these tests or is there another way to run an
amqp-server when building the package?

>> PS: ruby-dust and ruby-sigar is also waiting for sponsors
>
> As for ruby-sigar:
>
> - debian/ruby-sigar.docs has the boilerplate indication that a README
>  was found. Right, the README adds very little - Please decide:
>  Either you include the file as part of the documentation, or remove
>  the (useless) .docs
>
> - debian/copyright lists "2004, 2006 Hyperic, Inc." as the sole
>  copyright holder. However, many files mention different terms (I've
>  seen up to 2008 for Hyperic, although I didn't search thoroughly - I
>  know, terms are not as important as owners), and many files have
>  also notices from 2009 and 2010 from SpringSource, Inc. and VMware,
>  Inc. Several files are owned only by one or two of them.
>
> - Also, get_mib2.{c,h} (although it's unused for Linux, it seems
>  to be Solaris-specific, but it's part of the package) are by
>  V. Abell <abe@cc.purdue.edu> from the Purdue university, and under a
>  different license (which I didn't look into).
>
> - sigar_getline.c is  by Chris Thewalt (thewalt@ce.berkeley.edu),
>  also under a different license.

I will update these.

> As for ruby-dust, the package is in good shape, and I am uploading it
> now. I just have a suggestion, but you can leave it for a -2 version:
> The package ships basically no documentation. The README says, "See
> the tests for more examples", but the tests are not available for a
> user installing the binary package. Probably it could be useful to
> include them as examples? I'm not sure, as they are not commented
> either... Anyway, the package lacks documentation IMO.

I think adding them as examples would be better than not providing any
documentation at all. I will update the package.

Thanks
Praveen
--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍