Re: Ruby 1.8.7 -> 1.9.3?

2012/1/13 Paul van Tilburg <paulvt@debian.org>:
> Yes, it seems there are a few packages, that are popular/dependencies
> and do not compile for 1.9 at all.  The errors you list there do seem
> familiar to me as typical 1.8-only stuff compiled on 1.9.
> But I'm not much of a porter, so I don't know how to fix it. :)

Many people volunteered here and on Lucas' blog who are from ruby side
and don't have experience in packaging. Those folks can jump in here
and help.

>> I'm planning to use a wiki page to track all packages that needs
>> porting to ruby 1.9 here
>> http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby/RubyExtras/Ruby19Porting (may be we
>> can automate it by tagging bugs)
>
> We could at least use the wiki to point out often made issues when
> porting.  I see you have already listed some links, interesting.

Yes, it can guide new porters.

> Do note that we also have our transition status:
> http://pkg-ruby-extras.alioth.debian.org/wheezy
> with the accompanying details page sorted on popularity.
> It would be nice if it's somehow tied in with PET to list some as
> work-in-progress (yellow colored row) and pending/in-NEW (green colored
> row).  As I have run into starting working on a transition that was
> already in progress a few times already.

I always check bugs against the source package if someone is working
on it and if not I file a wishlist bug indicating I'm working on it.
May be I should check in the git repo too.

If we can add a tag say 'gem2deb' then transition status script can
check if there is a gem2deb tagged bug against that package and show
it is being worked on, may be in yellow color. If we think it is a
good idea then we can ask for a new tag.

Can we also ask for 'ruby19' tag for tracking bugs that are related to
ruby 1.9 porting effort? If not we can continue using the above wiki
page.

Praveen
--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍