Re: Ruby 1.8.7 -> 1.9.3?

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 12:21:48AM +0530, Praveen A wrote:
> 2012/1/12 Tom Inglis <tominglis@feusd.com>:
> > I was wondering whether there was anything I could do to help
> > transition Ruby from 1.8.7 to 1.9.3 in Debian.
>
> Before we switch to 1.9.3 be default we have to port all popular
> packages to ruby 1.9 (it would be nice to port all packages too)

That is indeed a target of the team.

> I came across this for one of the packages
> http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=29498&group_id=8350&atid=32304

Yes, it seems there are a few packages, that are popular/dependencies
and do not compile for 1.9 at all.  The errors you list there do seem
familiar to me as typical 1.8-only stuff compiled on 1.9.
But I'm not much of a porter, so I don't know how to fix it. :)

> I'm planning to use a wiki page to track all packages that needs
> porting to ruby 1.9 here
> http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby/RubyExtras/Ruby19Porting (may be we
> can automate it by tagging bugs)

We could at least use the wiki to point out often made issues when
porting.  I see you have already listed some links, interesting.

Do note that we also have our transition status:
http://pkg-ruby-extras.alioth.debian.org/wheezy
with the accompanying details page sorted on popularity.
It would be nice if it's somehow tied in with PET to list some as
work-in-progress (yellow colored row) and pending/in-NEW (green colored
row).  As I have run into starting working on a transition that was
already in progress a few times already.

Paul

--
Using the Power of Debian GNU/Linux  | E-mail: paulvt@debian.org
Jabber/GTalk: paul@luon.netl         | GnuPG key ID: 0x50064181