Re: introducing a ruby-common package, with update-ruby-alternatives tool

On 24/09/11 at 13:10 -0700, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
> Hello Akira and Daigo,
>
> Some time ago we discussed adding a tool called
> update-ruby-alternatives, which would be a helper to "fully switch"
> between Ruby interpreters as the default one. This is needed because
> `ruby` and `gem` are not maintained together in the same alternatives
> entry because rubygems is a separate package for ruby1.8, so what this
> tool should do is to change both at the same time. Please have a look at
> the discussion we had:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-ruby/2011/07/msg00053.html
>
> I wrote update-ruby-alternatives, and the solution I came up with was to
> add it to a new package called ruby-common, which the actualy
> interpreter packages (ruby1.8, ruby1.9.1 etc) should depend on.
>
> The code for this is ready in the `update-ruby-alternatives` branch on
> the ruby-defaults git repository, would you  have a look at it and tell
> us what you think? Do you guys agree with that implementation?

Hi Antonio,

I reviewed the ruby-common package, and it sounds very good to me.  The
only comment is that it should probably be a separate ruby-common source
package (ruby-defaults contains only transitional packages at this
point).

Another option would be to call it "ruby-switcher" or "ruby-switch".
What do you think?

Thanks,

Lucas