Re: Debian Ruby packaging changes

On 16/06/11 at 09:11 +0200, Thomas Müller wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, den 16.06.2011 um 1:55 schrieb Antonio Terceiro:
> > Thomas Müller escreveu isso aí:
> > > here we go - please find ruby-soap4r on mentors:
> > > http://mentors.debian.net/cgi-bin/maintainer-packages?action=details;package=ruby-soap4r
> > >
> > > Please have a closed look and send back all your comments.
> >
> > After I login to mentors.debian.net, it says:
> >
> >   Are you the owner?
> >   It appears like this package is not owned by you.
> >
> > It seems like you have to "publish" your package or something (I'm not
> > familiar with the mentors.debian.net workflow). Alternatively you can
> > upload the source package somewhere and send a link to the .dsc file.
> >

> Sorry for the wrong link - please use that one:
> http://mentors.debian.net/cgi-bin/sponsor-pkglist?action=details;package=ruby-soap4r
>
> > > Known issues:
> > > - (gem) version 1.0.0: I already got the feedback form the gem author - he will change the version to 2.0.0
> > > - missing man pages: I'll write them in the next days
> > > - breaking tests: tests are written using the gem test-unit - already packaged for ruby1.9? - need to dig into this
> >
> > test/unit is part of ruby1.8, and ruby1.9 has a compatible
> > (but different) implementation, the unit tests should work regardless.
> >

> Tests require 'test/unit/testsuite' - what I miss on my sid-chroot.
> Any idea which package is missing?
>
> > > Maybe there is a sponsor available as well?
> > > Is the Debian Ruby Team willing to take the maintainership?
> >
> > Are you willing to maintain it inside the Ruby team? ;-)
> >

> What ritual is necessary to join? ;-)

Hi,

see http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby (it might not be perfectly
documented, but if you don't figure out, ask questions, and then improve
the doc ;)

Quick review of your package:

- is there a reason not to package https://rubygems.org/gems/soap4r ?
Ok, it might not work with 1.9, but maybe you could backport the changes
from soap4r-ruby1.9 ?

I'm a bit worried that soap4r-ruby1.9 will not be maintained.

Also, we really want to support both 1.8 and 1.9, not just 1.9.

$ grep FIXME *
ruby-soap.docs:# FIXME: READMEs found
ruby-soap.examples:# FIXME: sample/ dir found in source. Consider
installing the examples.

You need transitional packages. see
http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby/RubyInWheezy and gen-ruby-trans-pkgs

> > > - breaking tests: tests are written using the gem test-unit - already packaged for ruby1.9? - need to dig into this
> >
> > test/unit is part of ruby1.8, and ruby1.9 has a compatible
> > (but different) implementation, the unit tests should work regardless.
> >

> Tests require 'test/unit/testsuite' - what I miss on my sid-chroot.
> Any idea which package is missing?

Apparently ruby 1.9 has a compatible implementation of test/unit, but
it's possible that some special stuff used in 16runnner.rb is not
compatible. The easier solution could be to simply hack 16runner.rb so
that it runs with 1.9. (we don't need all the complexity in this
anyway).

- Lucas