Re: Ruby packaging in wheezy: gem2deb, new policy, etc.

On 27/02/11 at 16:31 +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> On 27/02/11 at 14:07 +0100, Jérémy Lal wrote:

> > > Yes, I explicitly noted that when I updated the wiki page. I guess this
> > > circular dependency is not critical since it is a very short cycle in
> > > the dependency graph (A depends on B or C; B and C depend on A). I also
> > > don't see a sane way to avoid this type of dependency in our case.
> >
> > That rings a bell : http://bugs.debian.org/549442
> >
> > But if i understand well, those circular dependencies will only last
> > during migration to new policy ?
>
> I don't really trust Bill's opinion on this. I've just asked
> debian-devel@.

So, according to the feedback on debian-devel@, we should probably
duplicate the arch-independent part in every arch-dependent package, or
introduce a ruby-foo-common package that contains the common parts.

I suggest that we just duplicate the files if it doesn't prevent
co-installability (i.e there are no files shipped in /usr/share, for
example). And switch to ruby-foo-common if it's required to bring
co-installability, or if the arch-independant parts are really huge.

Now we need someone to implement this in gem2deb. hint hint. :-)

- Lucas