Re: Where does data provided by ruby packages go?

  Hello Ben !

Ben Armstrong wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 16:32:29 +0100
> I *think* the right answer to this question is
> simply /usr/share/appname (which is inconsistent with snmp's
> implementation).  So what's an upstream developer to do in the middle
> of this chaos?  I want my software to work everywhere.  I don't want to
> assume gems, and I don't want each packager to have to hardwire any
> paths.  Is there no convention that helps, here?

  Here's a quick answer. I regret I don't have time to elaborate more
(I'm off to bed ;-)...). In Debian, and in fact in any Unix-like
distribution I'm aware of, data has to go to /usr/(local/)?share/appname
(or possibly to some /opt directory, but that is more exotic, at least
as far as Debian is concerned -- I don't intend starting up a flamewar).
I would recommend trying "around" the library files (using the __FILE__
constructs you mentioned), and then falling back to a few standard path
in case the data path wasn't found.

  I suggest you have a look into webgen0.4, which is handling that
correctly, although I can't remember if it had to be patched for that or
not.

  In the hope of having been helpful...

	Vincent

--
Vincent Fourmond, Debian Developer
http://vince-debian.blogspot.com/

His followers called him Mahasamatman and said he was a god. He
preferred to drop the Maha- and the -atman, however, and called
himself Sam.
 -- Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light

Vincent, listening to The Glass Prison (Dream Theater)