Where does data provided by ruby packages go?

I am upstream for a ruby app I am in the process of designing/writing.
The app is intended as a piece of Debian infrastructure, so writing it
to be easily packaged is an important concern.  I explained a little
bit about what I'm doing here (probably not, now that I think of it,
the right list for this, which may explain why it got no responses):

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-ruby-extras-maintainers/2010-January/004436.html

Today's problem is this: the application will provide static data in a
'data' directory.  On a Debian system, I believe it should be installed
somewhere under /usr, but I am not sure where.

I asked #ruby @ irc.freenode.net and mostly got blank stares.  They
said that the normal approach here is to use rubygems, and suggested I
look at other gems to find out what they do.  Well, my problem with
that advice is that of all of the gems I have ever installed, only snmp
both provides data and is in Debian (the libsnmp-ruby1.8 package), and
I don't trust that as a good example to follow.  In snmp/mib.rb, the
upstream package looks in two locations, one relative to the code (for
the all-in-one-dir approach, e.g. either a gem, or running the code
in-place, checked out from revision control) and the other relative to
rbconfig's Config::CONFIG["datadir"], which on a Debian system
is /usr/share. However, for the latter, it expects the data to be
in ./ruby/snmp/mibs, and since there is no precedent in Debian for
putting data under /usr/share/ruby, the maintainer has replaced
the all-in-one-dir location with a
hard-wired /usr/share/doc/libsnmp-ruby1.8/yaml/.  This also seems
wrong to me, as the files provided are not really documentation.

So where do I go from here?  There should be some standard way for a
package to either work in an all-in-one-dir arrangement *or* with data
stored relative to Config::CONFIG["datadir"] but I can't find a single
example of code that does this in a way that would mesh well with
Debian.

Ben