RoR => WebAdmin

I need a simple web based server administration program; think WebMin but without the extensible modules. At first I looked at using WebMin but it seems like Debian really doesn't like it and its a bit overkill for me anyway. Then I found a little PHP app that does almost exactly what I need, but I can't seem to get copyright permissions to package it for Debian and I'm more than a little nervous about PHP given the recent language design decisions[1]. Besides, whatever I create should be usable by Debian at large so I want to follow the DFSG as closely as possible.

That said, I think creating a little tool in RoR would work fine. What I need is a simple "Server Status" page listing things like hostname, time/date, memory consumption, uptime, drive space graphs, etc. Anything that gives a general overview and some pretty graphs would be cool. I've found and used Gruff a bit, but not being a Rails hardcore guy I don't really know what the best option here would be. I think Gruff is a bit more robust than I need, but it sure is pretty. :)

I also need a way to change certain parameters on the system. I'm thinking about 4 major areas and building a controller for each of them (hostname, date/time, IP address/DHCP, email). I'm also planning on storing the data in a sqlite3 database just so I can backup and restore it easily. Something like the following:

 - Name(string)    : name of the parameter to modify
 - Description(string): describe the purpose of this parameter
- File(string) : what file must I change in order to make this happen? - Value(string) : what must I change the file to to make this happen?
 - Command(string) : how do I make this happen?
 - Rebootable(bool): do I have to reboot to make this happen?

So for the name of the host the record would look something like this:
 - "Hostname"
- "This is the name of the computer. It is used in many places including outgoing emails"
 - "/etc/hostname"
 - "RichardsDesktop"
 - "cat %value > %file"
 - "true"

Does this sound reasonable for a Rails app? Is it overkill? Should I just code something up in Perl and be done with it? :) Better yet, does anyone know of something that is already out there that I can either use or learn from? Do you think it would be a valuable addition to the Debian community?

Later...
  Richard

[1]http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/08/10/26/1610259.shtml