RE: Cross compiling Ruby for MIPS on Debian

Hi Matt,

Thank you for your reply. My answers inline:

MIPS
> > platform on Debian Linux.
>
> Are you going to be running Debian on the MIPS machine?

No. The MIPS machine will run open-source Linux.

Let me state my purpose more clearly: Before adding Ruby to the
pre-existing Make system for the MIPS-based platform that I have, I'm
trying to cross-compile and build Ruby on the Debian m/c in order to get
an approximation of the memory footprint.

Cross-compilation
> is a lot more than just spitting out different opcodes for a given
line of
> C; you've also got to match the ABI of your target platform, make sure
you
> link against the right sorts of libs, and so on.
>
> If you're not running Debian on the MIPS box, you're probably better
off
> talking to the people who develop the OS you're targetting, as they'll
> probably have cross-building environments available to do the
building.

> If you are running Debian on the MIPS box, then the first thing I'd
ask
> is:
> why can't you build Ruby on the machine itself?

I have done that already. And "irb" does work on my x86 workstation
running Debian.

Thanks,
Ruchir

If it's got enough