Re: ruby 1.9.1 will be ruby's stable release in december

On 19/10/07 at 00:12 +0200, Mathieu Blondel wrote:
> Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
>> I think that packages installed by hand go to
>> /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8, at least when installed with setup.rb. It
>> would be really wrong if packages installed by hand would go somewhere
>> under /usr/lib/.
>>
> In my mind, site_ruby is for libs and programs installed by hand. That's
> why /usr/lib/ruby/1.8 for packaged libs and /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8
> for libs installed by hand is OK to me. What does site_ruby means BTW ? To
> me "site_ruby" means something like "local_ruby" (like in "on site").

I don't know. Python has "site_packages".

> I would like to emphasize that the affected Debian packages are the ones of
> the third-party libs and programs. If you are to update all the packages,
> it's better to have strong arguments for this change. Can you sum up why
> people complain about that ? Are there real benefits ?

The main problem with the current installation scheme is that it's not
clear whether a lib belongs to the stdlib, or is a third-party lib:
everything is mixed up in /usr/lib/ruby/1.8.

In Fedora, the stdlib is installed in /usr/lib/ruby/1.8, but third-party
libs go to /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/

If we decide to do the same thing, the transition will be smooth, since
the old path will still be searched. We won't break all libs.

RUBYLIB values:
Debian:
$ ruby -e 'puts $:'
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/i486-linux
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/i386-linux
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-linux

Fedora:
$ ruby -e 'puts $:'
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i386-linux
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby
/usr/lib/site_ruby/1.8
/usr/lib/site_ruby/1.8/i386-linux
/usr/lib/site_ruby
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-linux

We should probably raise the issue with upstream before making any
change, anyway. Note that I'm not convinced myself that this change is
necessary. But I know that it's something that is often seen as "not
good" on ruby-talk.