Re: Packaging Policy

Hi TRANS,

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 12:17:19AM -0400, TRANS wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm workng on library/package related systems for Ruby and Debian's
> packaging policy puts a bit of a kink in things. According to the
> packaging policy 3rd-party packages are installed directly into
> /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/, right along side all the standard ruby
> distribution libs.

    Just curious, what do other distributions do?

> [...]
> When installing packages manually they are placed in
> /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/, so I would think the appropriate place
> for 3rd-party Debian Ruby packages would be in /usr/lib/site_ruby/1.8/.

    Yes, you're probably right. To do that change, though, ruby (I mean, the
interpreter) compilation options will have to be changed, so
/usr/lib/site_ruby/1.8 is included in $LOAD_PATH. In fact, I think we should
change it anyway, because to follow the FHS, we should be installing Ruby
libraries in /usr/share/something, which should translate as something like
/usr/share/site_ruby/1.8.

    As you probably know, build/install tools in Ruby tend to suck very badly,
so perhaps the change won't be as trivial as we would like to. However, it
shouldn't be _that_ difficult, because most of us are using a special Debian
package build system anyway (that tries to hide ugly details like that).

    Regards,

--
Esteban Manchado Velázquez <zoso@debian.org>
Help spread it through the Net in signatures, webpages, whatever!