Re: CDBS for Ruby

Hi Paul!

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 04:05:51PM +0200, Paul van Tilburg wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 01:02:38AM +0100, Esteban Manchado Velázquez wrote:
> >    Is anyone interested in a CDBS file for Ruby? I mean, something like
> > ruby-setup-rb.mk, similar to python-distutils.mk and perlmodule.mk.
> >
> >    I'm working on one, as I have seen no work on that. I'm still
> > experimenting, but the current version seems to work moderately well in some
> > simple cases.
> >
> >    I'm attaching it, in case you want to take a look. Comments are, of course,
> > very welcome.
>
> I am working on one too!  It seems your class supports multiple
> versions and stuff, I have worked on some different things, like
> documentation generation.  Maybe we can merge our stuff,
> can we talk on the #debian-ruby channel (FreeNode) about this some time?

   Oooohh, great. Yes, we can talk on IRC, but I'm not used to connect to it,
so it's better pinging me via e-mail or via Jabber (zoso at jabber dot sk).

   Do you have your CDBS file public somewhere? How do you plan to release the
file, that's one thing I'm not sure about: send it to CDBS maintainers, make a
little add-on deb package for CDBS, include directly in packages for now...?

> >    PS: I'm also planning of using some kind of template system to make a
> > dh-make-ruby utility, a la dh-make-perl (in fact, what I want is a generic
> > system to replace dh-make*). Anyone interested?
>
> Yes, I was also planning that :) I've got more plans, I hope to post
> one tonight.

   Hehe, OK. I'm looking forward for that post. Do you have any design or
implementation ideas? I originally planned to use a little utility written by
me, in Ruby, called UCLPW (Ultimate Command-Line Project Wizard), but perhaps
it will be better having a custom one, ERB-based.

   Regards,

--
Esteban Manchado Velázquez <zoso@foton.es> - http://www.foton.es