Re: ruby-defaults in unstable

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 04:46:42PM +0300, Jani Monoses wrote:
> I noticed that the ruby-defaults package in unstable does not reflect the
> changes done by merging several modules into libruby in the ruby1.8
> package. This seems to lead to conflicts while installing.

I have tested this upgrade path thoroughly and had no problems at all
with it.  Which tools are you using for updating?  Can you provide the
errors?

Concerning the reflecting, Akira Yamada proposed[1] a two step process of
which this is the first :)
I read in Fumitoshi Ukai's blog[2] that he is thinking about step 2 still.
Fumitoshi, can you shed some light on this?

> Should the ruby-defaults package have the depends fields changed for those
> metapackages to depend on libruby (i.e. libdl-ruby depends on
> libdl-ruby1.8, change that to depends on libruby1.8) or just no longer
> provide these metapackages at all?

I am not sure if the merge has to be reflected entirely. It makes sense
that if you explicitly ask for libyaml-ruby you get libruby1.8.
That this is done via the libyaml-ruby1.8 provide of libruby1.8 now,
might be improved, yes.

Also since 'ruby' depends on 'ruby1.8' which depends on 'libruby1.8' it
brings most of stdlib along as expected.

Paul

1: http://lists.debian.org/debian-ruby/2005/03/msg00000.html
2: http://ukai.org/b/log/debian/ruby/1.8.2-3_restructuring_libpackages.html

--