Re: About the Ruby packages split: a concrete proposal

Ar 05/02/2005 am 23:39, ysgrifennodd Paul van Tilburg:
> On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 02:33:00PM +1300, Stuart Rackham wrote:
> > - ruby1.8-dev. Without the development headers Ruby extension
> >   libraries and rubygems that contain extension libraries fail to
> >   install.
>
> Yes, would be a good one for Recommend too.  Still had a problem
> building some thing when I thought I had it all, a few days ago.

I don't think this is a good idea.

The package is of a fairly significant size:

$ ruby -e 'puts `dpkg -L ruby1.8-dev`.scan(/.+/).map {|x| File.stat(x).size}.inject(0) {|a,b| a+b}'
2335741

Policy states

	The Recommends field should list packages that would be found
	together with this one in all but unusual installations.

I don't think a majority of users who want to write stuff in Ruby will
want to compile their own extensions.

I think a Suggests relationship would be more appropriate.

--
Dafydd