Re: RubyGems package

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 12:49:37AM +0900, Daigo Moriwaki wrote:
> I made the new package for the current upstream: 0.8.4.
>
> David Moreno Garza wrote:
>
> >* libgems-ruby fails while building it on a clean (pbuilder)
> >environment:
> >

> I added libzlib-ruby1.8 into build-dependences. Now pbuilder goes well.

libruby1.8 can be removed since it is implied by ruby1.8.
I would drop the build-dependency on ruby (>= 1.8, << 1.9) as well since
this is a policy violation.

Since the scripts/programs in the package do #!/usr/bin/ruby or
#!/usr/bin/env ruby, it should plain depend on 'ruby'.
Why the (build-)depend on ruby1.8?  AFAIK it builds well with the
current ruby(-interpreter) and a few (std)libs installed.

> >* Since libgems-ruby will provide atm libgems-ruby1.8, this last one
> >should be an indep-arch package (both are architecture dependant).
> >

> What does mean 'atm' ?

At The Moment. :)

> Thanks. I am in the process of New Maintainer.

Ah, good :)

> >* Personal suggestion: Since there is not previous package on the
> >archive, why list other versions on debian/changelog?
> >
> Personally I build the package from 0.8.1. I deleted all the old
> entries. Now it has only 0.8.4's.

It is no problem IMO. Some packages spend years in personal/pseudo
repository before they move to Debian, why reset the history?

> RubyGems in my packages does not install anything at
> /usr/local/lib/site_ruby so that it should not look there.
> I tried to install rails by it and had an error that says 'drb not
> found' (I think it relates to Rails' gem).  After installing drb and
> libdrb-ruby* it worked.

Works for me (with ruby-core installed) too.

I was thinking... since it isn't really only a library but also got
commands in it, the name libgems-ruby is a bit strange. I think it's
better to call it just rubygems (better findable too), with rubygems1.8.
You might want to split of a libgems-ruby{,1.8} too if other programs
can need the library but not the frontend progs (useful for people not
really using gems only some programs that need the libs).

Paul

--
Student @ Eindhoven                         | JID:   paul@luon.net
University of Technology, The Netherlands   | email: paulvt@debian.org