Help with postgresql-plruby

I maintain the package postgresql-plruby which mysteriously fails to build on
ia64 (and only there).  I would appreciate it if someone with a Debian
account could log into one of the provided Debian machines and give it a
look.  The dependencies are already installed on merulo.

Build logs:
http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?&pkg=postgresql-plruby&ver=0.4.2-2&arch=ia64&file=log

The issue is that the execution of extconf.rb hangs after the last statement
in that file, until the buildd kills it.

noel@d.o confirmed yesterday that the last successfully built version 0.4.2-1
still builds successfully.  The only change between 0.4.2-1 and the current
version 0.4.2-2 is the removal of the extconf.rb option --disable-conversion.
I suppose one could start by commenting out pieces of code in extconf.rb that
are within a "if enable_conversion" section, so see what causes it to hang.

Since the problem appears in extconf.rb and not in the actual code of the
package, it's not impossible that there is a general ruby portability problem
hidden here.

Thanks.