Re: ruby-stdlib virtual package?

Ar 11/08/2004 am 00:29, ysgrifennodd Paul van Tilburg:
> On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 06:22:39PM +0200, Paul van Tilburg wrote:

> > >  how about
> > >   apt-get install $(grep-available -n -s package -F source -X ruby1.8 | grep lib)
> >
> > Heh, that is not so obvious for the average user but works perfectly indeed.
> >
> > I think that the virtual package is worth while.  I've heard a lot about
> > this on the channel.  I appreciate the modularization of ruby-stdlib (so
> > one can purge stuff that leads to unwanted depends), but the ability to
> > get it all at once and that this is a Recommand would be a pre.  I've just
> > downloaded and installed Instiki, which includes redcloth, bluecloth,
> > and madeleine by itself, but it assumed stdlib to be installed (as many
> > programs do), so it still didn't work out-of-the box.
> >
> > I'd like to draw the analogy here with gst-plugins..  one can install
> > them all and have full gstreamer support, or choose to let some out
> > because one for example doesn't want libaa or libartsd to be installed.
> > But then by dropping gst-plugins installation (refuting the Recommend)
> > the reponsibility of keeping everything together is shifted to the user.
>
> Thoughts, please?

I think having a ruby-stdlib package is an excellent idea -- it's quite
common to want to have the whole standard library installed and it
should be easy to do so. Since most users will want the standard
library, having ruby Recommends: ruby-stdlib would make sense.

--
Dafydd