Re: ruby-stdlib virtual package?

Paul van Tilburg wrote:
On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 06:22:39PM +0200, Paul van Tilburg wrote:

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 12:44:42AM +0900, Fumitoshi UKAI wrote:

At Sun, 1 Aug 2004 15:58:31 +0200,  Emiel van de Laar wrote:

When developing Ruby apps developers assume that the Ruby standard
library is available. I sometimes install Ruby apps that don't come from
Debian packages and then have to install a number of Debian libruby-x
packages... Would it be worth creating a virtual package that installs
all of the standard library packages. This would be a nice addition in
my opinion and make my life a lot easier. I wouldn't have to track down
each individual package...

Something like: apt-get install ruby ruby-stdlib

how about
 apt-get install $(grep-available -n -s package -F source -X ruby1.8 | grep lib)

Heh, that is not so obvious for the average user but works perfectly indeed.

I think that the virtual package is worth while.  I've heard a lot about
this on the channel.  I appreciate the modularization of ruby-stdlib (so
one can purge stuff that leads to unwanted depends), but the ability to
get it all at once and that this is a Recommand would be a pre.  I've just
downloaded and installed Instiki, which includes redcloth, bluecloth,
and madeleine by itself, but it assumed stdlib to be installed (as many
programs do), so it still didn't work out-of-the box.

I'd like to draw the analogy here with gst-plugins..  one can install
them all and have full gstreamer support, or choose to let some out
because one for example doesn't want libaa or libartsd to be installed.
But then by dropping gst-plugins installation (refuting the Recommend)
the reponsibility of keeping everything together is shifted to the user.

Thoughts, please?

I just ran into the following bit of text in the installation instructions of rpa-base. Draw your own conclusions if you will, I just thought I'd contribute it to the discussion.

Installing
==========
  ruby install.rb

NOTE TO DEBIAN USERS:

Debian splits Ruby's standard distribution into a miriad of packages; rpa-base
assumes that the standard components are installed and will fail if you don't
have them.

The required packages include
  rdoc1.8
  libtest-unit-ruby1.8