Re: Script for creating a deb package for a custom build of ruby

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 10:30:36AM -0400, newsgroups@johnwlong.com wrote:
> -------- Paul van Tilburg wrote: --------
> >> Does anyone have a script for creating a deb package for a custom build
> >> of ruby? I'm working on my own right now, but my knowlege of Debian,
> >> pakaging, and Ruby on Debian is quite limited.
> >
> > The debian dir of the ruby source package can be used. Put it in the custom
> > ruby source tree, add an entry to debian/changelog and you're ready to go
> > using dpkg-buildpackage. For more information on the packaging itself,
> > please refer to the maintainance guide (apt-get install maint-guide ->
> > /usr/share/doc/maint-guide).
>
> I'm not seeing a debian directory in my ruby source. I just downloaded the
> source from ruby-lang.org and compiled my version from there. What "source
> package" are you referring to and where can I get it?

Ah, I meant the Debian source package. I use for example in my sources.list:
---
# Debian packages
deb-src http://www.debian.nl/debian/ unstable main contrib
deb     http://www.debian.nl/debian/ stable   main contrib
---

It won't upgrade your system to unstable, but will enable you to use
'apt-get source <source package>' to get the source package from unstable
to build it for stable for example.
Not that the older stable gets, actually the longer a unstable tree
exists, the harder it is to do a backport.

> > May I know what you are trying to accomplish? Custom build in what way?
>
> Mainly we would like to upgrade our current version of Ruby to 1.8.1. And
> mod_ruby and Apache to the latest versions. What's the best way to go about
> doing that on Debian Woody?

That's understandable, ruby1.6 is quite old too :).  Backports.org and
Apt-get.org are good sources.  Maybe, if it can wait, you can hold off a
little... sarge will become the next unstable in a matter of weeks.  It
can save you the trouble, or... you can try to backport it anyway,
though.

Paul

--
Student @ Eindhoven                         | JID:   paul@luon.net