Some observations from a first time debian.org XMPP user

Hi.  I connected to the XMPP server on debian.org yesterday for the
first time, and was surprised and sad to discover a lot of spam messages
waiting for me.  When I connected using gajim, my client was flodded
with messages.  I believe I got around 215 messages.  Is this normal?

Is there anything being done on the XMPP server side to avoid spam?

I first tried asking about this on #debian-rtc, but there is only only
one other inactive user there.

I'm still struggling to get video and audio chat working via the server.
I have no idea if it is a client or server issue, though.

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen