Installing on VisionFive 2 with M.2 SSD

Hi, I am wondering what the best way is to install Debian on the
VisionFive 2, using the M.2 slot at the bottom of the board.

The very good (if slightly cumbersome, but it is an expermental
arch after all) install instructions at

https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/StarFive/VisionFiveV1

do not mention a M.2 disk at all. I assume a boot partition on
an SD card will still be necessary, and therefore the DTBs will
have to be kept in sync as described with seperate /boot partition?

Is it better to install to SD and copy over to M.2 or is installing
to M.2 directly the preferred strategy?

BTW I absolutely love the VisionFive2 so far, running it on
armbian works flawlessly, even HDMI mostly worked for me (purple
tint though, maybe the armbian boot logo messed something up), board
feels like an older Raspberry Pi if used interactively.

Thanks in advance,
Ralph