The brief status of Debian riscv porting --2022/08/26

Hi,

Following the last issue our riscv64 package has reached 15100+, this
time we have exceeded 15200+[0] finally, which is really an amazing
amount given that we still have many key packages that upstream do not support rv,such as mono, luajit, spidermonkey...
So everything is going well under the current conditions.

In this issue:
+ Summary to help port riscv64 on debian

* Summary to help port riscv64 on debian
There are a lot of people who are going to devote themselves to helping
riscv64 port to debian recently, so I will briefly list the work we can
do now, of course, these are all mentioned by pabs in the past. Thanks again
pabs. If there is any omission, please add it in time.

** First and foremost, we still have to help the maintainer(s) solve the ftbfs issues on riscv64. These packages are mainly listed here[0]&[1],
especially the latter. Once the issue is resolved, we can try to send a
patch or MR via reportbug. For patch, you can refer to the quilt wiki[2]
to generate patch. This is the easiest way to contribute to Debian If
the maintainer accepts your patch:).

** Another thing is to track down the bug that under debian-riscv@lists.debian.org[3],
Obviously a lot of bugs here have been closed and others are open, Most of these open
state packages overlap with the "FTBFS packages on riscv64 with a patch pending" section
from [1]. We look forward to doing something to make these patches accepted early or
maintainers can give us some feedback.

** Fixing debci issues. I have no specific experience to fix autopkgtest failure cases,
But it definitely requires some work on our part. The packages that has autopkgtest failure case for riscv64 is here[4]. Please note that there are many false positives here,
which can be judged by the specific log. Many thanks to Paul Gevers for his work, now our
debci for riscv64 is working fine. You can press *retry* button to to verify them again even though they have the fail tag. About autopkgtest I think this wiki[5] is better also from pabs.

** Try to build desktop software like Thunderbird, Chromium, LibreOffice and so on.
These patches are generally not accepted by maintainers in the case that riscv64 is
not a release arch, but they shows the ecosystem of rv64. Now, I have tried to build these three packages, but, Thunderbird is hang in the linking phase, LibreOffice failed due to test case, Chromium is going.

You can get more info about Debian riscv64 port from here[6] also.

Above is my personal experience in helping port riscv64 on Debian, Please correct me if I am wrong.

[0]: https://buildd.debian.org/status/architecture.php?a=riscv64&suite=sid
[1]: https://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/ftbfs.cgi?arch=riscv64
[2]: https://wiki.debian.org/UsingQuilt
[3]: https://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/bts-usertags.cgi?user=debian-riscv@lists.debian.org