Re: dmidecode

On 4 Aug 2021, at 00:11, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2021-08-03 at 23:51 +0100, Jessica Clarke wrote:
>
>> I’m unaware of any systems that provide it. The whole EDK2+ACPI+SMBIOS
>> ecosystem remains rather far off for RISC-V at this point
>
> Is it an option for virtual machines with qemu yet?

No; for some strange reason the old HiFive Unleashed was the primary
target for EDK2, not QEMU’s virt machine, the thing that the vast
majority of people are/should be using. Last I checked basically none
of even that was upstream and what was upstream was a bit dodgy.

I haven’t even seen patches floating around for anything ACPI on any
RISC-V platform, not even QEMU. The next generation of interrupt
controllers, AIA (“Advanced Interrupt Architecture”) remains a draft
spec that’s being iterated on, so even if support for that were
upstream in QEMU (which it is not, just in a fork), the only stable
interrupt controller option would be impossible to support with ACPI.
As for SMBIOS the only thing I’ve seen is talk that it should exist and
outlining what they believe it should include, but don’t believe it’s
proven technology yet.

>> nor worth Ubuntu carrying a patch for.
>
> Heinrich, could you describe Canonical's interest in riscv64 dmidecode?
>
>> dmidecode ... atrocious software engineering practice
>
> Hopefully someone will file a bug/patch about this upstream.

If I had time to spare I’d just write the patches myself to use C99
uintX_t and to always do byte-by-byte accesses, letting the compiler
optimise it to the unaligned word access (with possible byte reverse
for big-endian) when possible, as that’s completely portable code with
no #ifdef’s needed. But I have better things to be doing with my time,
sadly (or maybe fortunately?)…

Jess