Re: Large reduction in portability of some KDE packages

On 5/30/20 2:49 PM, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>> As far as I can see, some of the packages used to use qtwebkit not too long
>> ago which is perfectly portable to all architectures.
>
> The one you linked moved to qtwebengine 3 years ago,
> and around that time a large part of KDE moved.

There were others, but it doesn't really matter in this regard.

>>> There is no way around it with reasonable effort,
>>> unless Google support riscv64 in their browser.
>> The way around it is to not use Google technologies because Google doesn't
>> care about open source and the community unless it serves their own
>> interests.
>
> I would also personally prefer if KDE would go back to qtwebkit,
> but distributions can only use whatever upstream is choosing.
>
> KDE upstream has the right to make such choices if they think
> it delivers a better KDE experience.

Of course, they are free to choose whatever path they want.

I just have a hard time understanding when people are constantly complaining
about locked down hardware platforms like x86 and ARM and on the other hand
do everything they can to support these platforms while locking out the open
platforms.

Intel is never going to open up x86, that's something people should keep in mind.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz